2017 Performance Reviews
WVU Employee Relations is in the process
of modernizing and streamlining the performance review process for classified,
non-classified and some FE/AP employees.
For the annual reviews of the 2017 cycle, WVU will be launching a new
electronic tool and submission process.
As part of this process, all supervisors of WVU classified,
non-classified and some FE/AP staff will be required to attend Performance Management
Training. Sessions are being offered first on an organizational specific basis so that supervisors can be with their peers and colleagues for the best learning experience. For those who are unable to attend their organization's training sessions, general sessions are being offered on:
Important information to know:
- On July 17, 2017, eligible employees hired before January 1, 2017 will receive an e-mail to their WVU e-mail account notifying them that it is time to begin the pre-review process. This e-mail will contain a link to the pre-review in the electronic system.
- The pre-review is optional but strongly recommended.
- Employees will have until July 28, 2017 to complete their pre-review and submit it electronically to their supervisor.
- The timeline for supervisors to communicate the completed reviews will be October 02, 2017 - October 27, 2017.
- On July 17, 2017, eligible employees hired before January 1, 2017 received an e-mail to their WVU e-mail account notifying them that it is time to begin the pre-review process. This e-mail contained a link to the pre-review in the electronic system. If you need access to the pre-review outside of your e-mail, please use the following link: https://wvu.bluera.com/wvu/ This will take you to the sign on page. Once you have signed onto the system, using your WVU sign on credentials, you will be directed to the Dashboard. Once there click on "Complete questionnaire" to complete the pre-review process.
- July 17, 2017 – Employee pre-review opens; Supervisors have access to begin performance evaluation utilizing pre-review feedback.
- July 28, 2017– Employee pre-review closes.
July 31, 2017 - Review will open for first level supervisors to complete.
- August 25, 2017 - All first level supervisor reviews are to be completed; review tool closes.
- August 28, 2017 - September 8, 2017 - Second level supervisors review the performance evaluation, sign or return the reviews to the first level supervisors for modifications.
- September 11, 2017 - All reviews are locked for editing; Employee Relations compiles analytical data for executive level review.
- September 15, 2017 - Employee Relations provides analytic reports to VP/Dean levels for review and approval and/or modifications.
- September 29, 2017 - VP/Deans complete their review process and authorize distribution and communication of reviews.
- October 2, 2017 - November 3, 2017 - Supervisors conduct employee review meetings; allow 10 business days for employees to review and provide comments.
- November 17, 2017 - Final employee comment period closes.
November 29, 2017 - All reviews are considered final.
ALL annual reviews will be required to be submitted through the new electronic process.
Additional information regarding the review forms and process will be highlighted in training sessions offered to
both supervisors and employees.
All newly hired classified and non-classified staff who are still in their probationary period should use the current form and process. Contact EmployeeRelations@mail.wvu.edu for the appropriate review forms.
Supplemental Resources and Forms
- Performance Review Guidelines - Descriptors – provides a one page process guideline, and provides the descriptors of each performance element upon which employees are rated
- Performance Review Meeting Guidelines – a concise, simplified visual of how a review meeting should flow
- Performance Review Best Practices – a one-page resource for leaders to help prepare for and deliver recommended best practices performance appraisals
- SMART Goal Setting – a resource to help establish goals that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Results-oriented, and Time-based
Setting New Goals - utilized to set project goals for the upcoming review period
- Performance Improvement Plan – utilized to set a formal plan in place to address performance and development needs; should be utilized with the assistance of Employee Relations
- Extended Development Plan – utilized with the collaboration of the employee to identify a plan of development to bring the employee’s knowledge, skills and/or abilities to the next level or for career path planning
The performance review process gives supervisors an effective tool to provide formal feedback to their employees in addition to the ongoing feedback that occurs throughout the year. We expect that all classified and non-classified employees receive a performance review on an annual basis.